(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, the ability of an applicant for a certificate or rating issued under this part to perform the required tasks on the practical test is based on that applicant's ability to safely:
(1) Perform the tasks specified in the areas of operation for the certificate or rating sought within the approved standards;
(2) Demonstrate mastery of the aircraft with the successful outcome of each task performed never seriously in doubt;
(3) Demonstrate satisfactory proficiency and competency within the approved standards;
(4) Demonstrate sound judgment; and
(5) Demonstrate single-pilot competence if the aircraft is type certificated for single-pilot operations.
(b) If an applicant does not demonstrate single pilot proficiency, as required in paragraph (a)(5) of this section, a limitation of “Second in Command Required” will be placed on the applicant's airman certificate. The limitation may be removed if the applicant passes the appropriate practical test by demonstrating single-pilot competency in the aircraft in which single-pilot privileges are sought.
(c) If an applicant fails any area of operation, that applicant fails the practical test.
(d) An applicant is not eligible for a certificate or rating sought until all the areas of operation are passed.
(e) The examiner or the applicant may discontinue a practical test at any time:
(1) When the applicant fails one or more of the areas of operation; or
(2) Due to inclement weather conditions, aircraft airworthiness, or any other safety-of-flight concern.
(f) If a practical test is discontinued, the applicant is entitled credit for those areas of operation that were passed, but only if the applicant:
(1) Passes the remainder of the practical test within the 60-day period after the date the practical test was discontinued;
(2) Presents to the examiner for the retest the original notice of disapproval form or the letter of discontinuance form, as appropriate;
(3) Satisfactorily accomplishes any additional training needed and obtains the appropriate instructor endorsements, if additional training is required; and
(4) Presents to the examiner for the retest a properly completed and signed application.
Part 61 discusses the following areas related to testing, click on the relevant link for more info: